Something of a perk, plus some idea that one might actually do some work on the plane, and that one would arrive somewhat refreshed to do work. For example, flying to London the plane got in at like 5AM local. which was midnight at home, time to be in bed, and the idea was you would clear customs, go to the hotel maybe and wash up, put on work clothes, then go to the office or meetings, whatever. I always went to the hotel and took some nap for 3-4 hours, then rolled in about noon local, which was still "early" body time, but at least I got some sleep. The flights left at 5 or 6PM, so sleeping then getting up after a few hours did not work for me. I usually scheduled in an extra day on the front anyway to get acclimated a bit, so did not really miss anything. I could do emails and such at noon local, which was early back home, so it never looked like I was slacking, plus no one really cared anyway as we all had the experience of that kind of travel, and being lagged out. I found it worse coming back though.

--R