Our corporate travel department was actually a separate business, so the more
they sold the more money they made. I have no idea where the business class
travel policy came from, but I know it was corporate-wide.

I got into a big tiff with them once over some travel to Australia and New
Zealand. I had a voucher from NWA for a $2000 business class round trip to
Sydney that I wanted to use for a business trip Down Under. Corporate travel
wouldn't let me use it because they had committed to United to use them for
that route. The United fare was around $5,000, if I recall correctly. I know
the difference was pretty substantial.

"We get spiffs from the airlines for committing to book with them, which is why
we have to use United," was Corporate Travel's reasoning for spending twice
what it would otherwise cost.

"How much of that "spiff" comes back to my department?" I asked.

<crickets>

Yeah, right. So I ended up going Down Under on United for twice what it would
have cost me otherwise....

Here's some more twisted corporate logic:

The Company wanted to get its hands on frequent flyer miles, but since these
were earned by the individual there was really no way for them to do it. Now
maybe they could have by working something out with the airlines, but
administering it in a company of +8,000 people would have been a real nightmare.

So our head corporate counsel, who also happened to be the owner's wife, comes
up with this plan:

You accumulate frequent flyer miles. You use them to book business travel. When
you do so, Corporate will reimburse you for the lowest published fare for that
route.

Oh, and yes, the reimbursement will be taxed as personal income.

So I use my frequent flyer miles to fly to LA and back. This is probably worth
maybe $500 booking normally using my miles. Corporate Travel combs through the
prices from every possible carrier that flys the same route and finds a $99
fare. I get a reimbursement check for $99.00 less taxes. Good deal, eh?

Needless to say, this policy died a pretty quick death.

<head slap>

Dan

Sent from my iPad