You should check the outer bearings on the spring (bottom) link at the wheel carrier -- they go bad when the boots fail, causing the rear end to wander and knocking noises.

Could also be a shock that has leaked enough oil for the pressurizing piston to hit the operating piston on large bumps.

I'm in the process of replacing the outer bearings on my cars, along with a lot of other stuff -- taking a long time as I was sick most of the winter and just now getting back into shape to bang on rear suspension stuff.

Peter