Part of the work I do involves looking at traffic to see how secure it is.
There is readily available, open source packet capture software (Wireshark is
the most popular) that can be used to open up pretty much any protocol in a
data stream that isn’t encrypted.  VOIP is easy to encrypt, and most is.

However, if it’s not and I can grab the packets coming across your wireless
router, for example, it’s a matter of applying a filter and playing back the
VOIP data stream, and I can hear your conversation as if I was a part of it.

Dan