I think that when I learned to drive, the push-pull was called the shuffle,
and was frowned upon. It was too slow and in-efficient. That was when most
cars didn't have power steering, and it seemed that the average was 8 turns
of the steering wheel, lock to lock. I was learning to fly at the same time
I was learning to drive, and since I thought then (and still do) that
flying was much cooler than driving, I usually drive with thumb and a
finger lightly holding the wheel at 9 and gently applying pressure instead
of moving the wheel. This doesn't work so well when parking, but then it
doesn't work well when slipping the 182 either - you adapt to the situation.
I never heard about the airbag breaking arms, but it does sound plausible -
"we'll break your arm to keep you safe!"

On Sat, Jun 27, 2015 at 10:06 PM, Mitch Haley via Mercedes <
mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> Top of the wheel was always what my dad did when he was too tired to keep
> driving but too proud to let mom take over.
>
> I was taught what I think you're calling push-pull by one of the car test
> jockeys for a non-car magazine, probably Tom McCahill of Mechanic's
> Illustrated.
> I picked it up shortly before I started driver's education, my teachers,
> if they
> noticed, never mentioned it.
> Back then I did it because it was supposed to be more secure than letting
> go of
> the wheel with one hand and crossing your arms over each other.
> Bring both hands to the top of the wheel, grasping the wheel in one hand
> and
> sliding the wheel through the other, then grasp with the other hand and
> bring
> both hands towards the bottom.
>
> I'm pretty sure they taught me 10 and 2 o'clock in driver's ed, but in
> cockpit
> videos you usually see race drivers at 9 and 3.
> About 25 years ago I read a gripe in Autoweek from a reader who got hit
> backing
> out of a parking spot. He claimed he was holding the top of the wheel in
> his
> left hand while turning his body to look out the back windscreen when the
> bad
> deployed, breaking his arm in multiple places.
> Air bags are weaker now, back then they were required to restrain unbelted
> driver/dummies in crash tests.
> Mitch.

OK Don

NSA: The only branch of government that actually listens to US citizens!

for themselves."

2013 F150, 18 mpg
2012 Passat TDI DSG, 44 mpg
1957 C182A, 12 mpg - but at 150 mph!