I don't think any state will let you do that any more. the CDL is based on the mfg tag. So a truck built before the CDL came in that were rated 26,500 requires a CDL.

I think the CDL law required the states to register at the GVW rating. At least I have not seen any ton rating license stickers since the CDL came in. I had Chauffeurs license rated for straight trucks and busses before the CDL law came in. I was going to get a CDL, but then i looked at the rules and then decided NO!

I'm not sure

Sent from my iPhone