My understanding was that it was never fixed. The alternate fix was to install an evap from a e-class and a baffle to fill in the gap because the e class evap isn't as wide. However the internet is full of stories about evaps being replaced 3 or 4 times in the 90s,
so I'm not sure when the alternate fix was put into place.