Some time ago several on the list suggested solvents for removing the coating
on the boards in the climate control units in 123s. However, don't remember who
they were at the moment or which solvents they suggested.
Surface mounted components that have leads of adequate length can be snipped
close to the old component and the new components leads can then be soldered to
the old lead without heating the board providing that there is enough room to
use  pointed heat sink clips on the old leads next to the board. I use surgical
misquito forceps if there is room because they are heavier and absorb more heat.
Gerry