I finally fixed an email problem which has been bugging our household for a
couple of months.  We've been able to receive email on our email client -
home computer, but couldn't send most of the time.  Email worked fine from
our smart phones.

I called AT&T tech support (second call in a few weeks) and we spent about
30 minutes making sure I knew how to enter my username and password and
setup the right email servers and ports and such, and the lady said the
next two steps were to temporarily shut off my computer firewall and then
delete and reload MS Outlook.

Firewall!

Checked the DSL modem / wireless router settings, shonuff the required port
for sending was blocked.  Shut off the firewall, can send just fine...