According to the following statistics, you stand roughly one chance in 340,000
of being injured or killed by an involuntarily exploding air bag in one of the
car brands listed below. Since you also stand one chance in 4000 to 8000 of
dying in a car accident in any one year depending on the circumstances, the
exploding airbag odds look pretty good.
Gerry

"When car sensors detect a crash, a chemical reaction is triggered by the
ignition of a solid hunk of propellant. The way propellant works in an airbag
comes down to heat, moisture, and timing. A wad of chemicals sits inside a
flattened metal canister until heated up—which makes those chemicals expand
quickly and gaseously when the airbag needs to inflate. Vents on the back of
the bag prevent the whole thing from being blown to bits. All this happens in
about half the time it takes for a person to blink: between 100 and 200
milliseconds.

That’s how it’s supposed to work, anyway.

But as many as one in seven cars on the roads in the United States may have
defective airbags. That’s the scope of the ongoing automotive recall that
includes 34 million cars—Toyota, Nissan, Honda, Mazda, Mitsubishi, General
Motors, Subaru, Ford, Chrysler, and BMW are all affected. The defective
Takata-made airbags explode with shrapnel, spraying motorists with sharp bits
of metal, and have caused more than 100 injuries and at least eight deaths in
the past decade.

The faulty airbags are being traced back to the chemical compound Takata now
uses for propellant. The manufacturer changed the main ingredient from
tetrazole to ammonium nitrate in 2001. Takata has defended its continued use of
the latter, calling it “safe and effective for use in airbag inflators when
properly engineered and manufactured,” in a statement. But employee emails show
that there were “dire warnings about safety and quality lapses years before
Takata Corp. would fully acknowledge the threat posed by its defective
airbags,” according to a report by the Senate Commerce Committee this week.
Senator Bill Nelson, a Floridan Democrat, says it now appears that Takata was
aware of “serious safety and quality control lapses” in its factories as early
as 2001.

Ammonium nitrate can expand rapidly as a gas without exploding, but it can also
explode violently. It's pretty unstable, too, which means it can—and often
does—blow up when it isn't supposed to. It’s cheap, which makes it desirable to
manufacturers, but it’s unpredictable.

“And it's not regulated at all as a propellant,” said Byron Bloch, a car-design
consultant and long-time advocate for automotive-safety
technologies....snip

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2015/06/airbags/396854/

More than you want to know about airbags:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airbag