Yes, my wife brought an Italian speaking cat to our marriage.  "Scopa", which
means broom, would immediately cause the cat to run for cover.  My
mother-in-law used a broom to administer correction; brandishing a broom would
have an even greater effect.

Once we went to Wisconsin to visit my mother, and for some reason we had taken
the cat.  One evening the cat got into the attached garage, got scared and
climbed up into the rafters, well out of reach.  No amount of calling,
pleading, or cat food would coax her down.

I had SWMBO stand at the door leading to the house and call the cat.  I found a
broom, yelled "Scopa!" and charged.  This produced the desired response, as Cat
rapidly exited the garage back into the house.

My wife would sometimes curse the cat in Italian, which I'm sure she also
understood quite well.
--
Max Dillon
Charleston SC