"A recent Washington Post
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/03/08/AR2008030802595.html?referrer=emailarticle>
article, however, has revealed that China’s booming solar industry is not
as green as one might expect. Many of the solar panels that now adorn
European and American rooftops have left behind a legacy of toxic pollution
in Chinese villages and farmlands.

The Post article describes how Luoyang Zhonggui, a major Chinese
polysilicon manufacturer, is dumping toxic factory waste directly on to the
lands of neighboring villages, killing crops and poisoning residents."
http://www.worldwatch.org/node/5650