Rich wrote:
> What voltage does the Pious battery pack run at?

G: 288v

  Would it be possible
> to tap an inverter straight into it?

G: There has been a recent discussion about that possibility but I haven't been
following it. I vaguely remember the major problem was that the AC current
produced by the main inverter that runs the traction motor, water pump, and air
conditioner; (there are no belts); is that it is three phase. They also
discussed tapping straight off the battery to a separate inverter but ran into
potential problems with that approach as well.

  Do those packs go bad or wear down
> after a time?

G: they are warranted for 150,000 miles or ten years if purchased in
California, Pennsylvania, and several other states. The rest are warranted for
100,000 miles or 8 years. DIYers often take the batteries apart and test the
individual modules; replacing the bad ones with good modules from the junkyards
or buying new modules for $45. There aren't a lot of modules.
Rebuilt batteries are about $1700; new about $3000. Most last beyond the
warrantee period under normal use.

 Buy a used one for cheepcheep and turn it into a rolling
> emerg system?  I have read that some guys mod them for charging from the
> mains, that would make it easy to keep topped off with mains or solar or
> whatever power source, in addition to gasoline.

G: Go to www.bing.com and type in "output of prius generator". There are
several articles there by people who did just that.

Note: The inverter that changes battery DC to 3 phase AC is enclosed in a large
module that has it's own liquid cooling system. I wonder if an inverter
handling the high output of a Prius generator feeding a house would also need a
liquid cooling system?

which I belong.

www.priuschat.com is a larger and more generalized group which also has a lot
of technical info.