My W123 tach is also going wacky - acts the same even when I swap the
under-hood sensor.  Oscillates, goes to zero, generally misbehaves.  Used
to work great so I am thinking it has to be the sensor and NOT the PU unit
that screws into the tach chassis housing.  Maybe I should just swap out
the cluster gauge for one of my many spare used units?