No metallurgist here, either, but it's Galvanic action resulting from the electric potential between dissimilar metals - copper is slightly more "noble" than aluminum. The Galvanic action removes ions from the less noble metal - i. e., corrosion of the aluminum.

Wilton

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dan Penoff via Mercedes" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Cc: "Dan Penoff" <d...@penoff.com>
Sent: Wednesday, July 15, 2015 8:51 AM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Blown fuse

Metal fatigue and a very small cross sectional contact area. Sometimes you would grab the fuse to twist it and the element would just fall apart, much like the "strip" fuses they used in higher current applications do. In some cases aluminum was used for fuse elements, too. Can't imagine the point of contact between aluminum and copper being a good thing. Not sure why, as I'm no metallurgist, but it just doesn't sound good to have dissimilar metals in contact like that....

Dan

Sent from my iPad

----- Original Message ----- From: "Randy Bennell via Mercedes"