I had this issue with a 123 and found I could remove the lock plate from the
hood from underneath. Took some gyrations but was do-able. I suspect on a 124
it'd be harder...
-Curt
      From: Mitch Haley via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
 To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Cc: Mitch Haley <mi...@mitchellhaley.com>
 Sent: Wednesday, July 15, 2015 12:23 PM
 Subject: Re: [MBZ] W124 Hood Release will not work

> On July 15, 2015 at 10:48 AM Jim Cathey via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
> wrote:
>

> Worst-case scenario: source a new plastic grill insert, and
> bash the old one out with a hammer.  Then you can reach in with
> a screwdriver and lever it open.  Then fix it, before putting
> in the new grille.

That reminds me, I haven't had the hood open on my S210 since January.
I could do as Jim suggests, but with a 210 it would cost me a grill insert,
A/C condenser, and radiator at the minimum. If I could get the headlight out
I think it would be easy. Crawling under with a flashlight, I just can't seem
to get a straight shot at the latch from below.

Right before the failure, I took both latches out and cleaned/lubed them so they
would actually latch. I suspect the cable fell out of the left one after I put
it
back together.

Mitch.