Interesting discussion on fuel filter swaps in the W220 forum at BW recently.
Someone was talking about “shocking” the fuel pump after a filter change, due
to there being air entrained in the fuel or a short period of time where the
pump might run without any fuel, potentially damaging the pump in the process.

I’m putting this out there as a possibility, however, I don’t buy it.  Any more
than I buy the concept of “fluid shock” that some claim can occur when you do a
complete fluid change on an automatic transmission.

Dan