The re-election rate (for both parties) is about 98%, I think.  Many reasons
for that.  The high re-election reason that I think should be changed is
gerry-meandering of congressional districts.  Rigging the district boundaries
to ensure one party or the other will hold an elected seat should be a crime.
I'm not sure what a fair method is, but I think our current system favors the
political class, not the citizens.

Requiring proof of citizenship and providing a voter ID should also be the
normal method for all state and federal elections, but I don't think we can
blame that for a high re-election rate.

Federal money for candidates?  I love the idea, but give the power to the
citizens by requiring each registered voter to designate which candidate gets
his share.   This will force candidates to compete for that money by actually
interfacing & interacting with citizens, and not just special interest groups.
No party line designation either, voter needs to actually identify the
candidate by name to designate them as recipient of the money.

Oh yeah, and only veterans who have served in a war zone are eligible to vote
for federal offices...
--
Max Dillon
Charleston SC