I've been on the receiving end of those, while serving in the military, and
we jumped through hopes like you wouldn't believe to get those answered on
or before the deadline.  Of course, flag level officers need congressional
support to get flag and keep flag and make the next flag...

Too bad Congress can't / won't fire very many federal employees at places
like FEMA for similar transgressions.  I guess a bunch in the IRS that
worked for/with Louis Lerner in suppressing the tea party groups got the
axe, that surprised me.