I am so so glad I went to a small state college. I read about schools 
indoctrinating students and refusing to listen to other points of view and I'm 
horrified, that was not my experience at all. We were encouraged to disagree 
with our teachers, if you could back up your point they'd listen.Part of it, I 
suspect, is the program of study, in film and video if it looks good it is 
good. Broke a rule but got away with it? Awesome, good for you. Break a rule 
and the finished product sucks? Back to the drawing board. The other nice thing 
was that failure is just a learning experience that makes your next project 
better, nobody is perfect the first time and because of that we were encouraged 
to experiment which then made you better.
The kids in more "conventional" fields of study hated us. I had one design 
class where for a month we worked with crayons. Yeah crayons. You go out and 
try to make a crayon drawing that doesn't look like a crayon drawing and tell 
me how easy it is...
-Curt
      From: Rich Thomas via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
 To: mercedes@okiebenz.com 
Cc: Rich Thomas <richthomas79td...@constructivity.net> 
 Sent: Thursday, July 23, 2015 2:51 PM
 Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT - UNC-CH integrity & ethics
   
I would have an interesting story to tell about the wages of sin at 
UNC-CH, outside the whole football program, but it would violate my 
integrity to do so, so I won't.

But in universities, independent simple solutions are not acceptable, 
the school has to form committees to beat the issue to death and then 
come up with something that doesn't address the issue because actually 
doing so might offend someone.  Goes double for "integrity" because that 
is not valued much any more unless it fits some other agenda.

--R



On 7/23/15 2:07 PM, WILTON via Mercedes wrote:
> Re. the unsavory crap (sham, "paper," classes) going on for nearly 20 years 
> at UNC-CH to accommodate athletes, an article in today's Raleigh "News and 
> Observer," discusses two "working groups" (committee's) "looking at UNC 
> integrity and policies."  Co-chair said that they "first want to define 
> integrity."  To save 'em possibly several weeks of haggling, I'm volunteering 
> my definition of it learned on Momma and Daddy's laps and at their knees 
> nearly 80 years ago - put simply, integrity is the ability to do what is 
> right when nobody else is watching.
>
> Wilton
>
> _______________________________________
> http://www.okiebenz.com
>
> To search list archives http://www.okiebenz.com/archive/
>
> To Unsubscribe or change delivery options go to:
> http://mail.okiebenz.com/mailman/listinfo/mercedes_okiebenz.com


>
>


_______________________________________
http://www.okiebenz.com

To search list archives http://www.okiebenz.com/archive/

To Unsubscribe or change delivery options go to:
http://mail.okiebenz.com/mailman/listinfo/mercedes_okiebenz.com



  
_______________________________________
http://www.okiebenz.com

To search list archives http://www.okiebenz.com/archive/

To Unsubscribe or change delivery options go to:
http://mail.okiebenz.com/mailman/listinfo/mercedes_okiebenz.com

Reply via email to