I would suggest the use of a pair of dyke cutters to clip the edges of the
grill, rather than pliers.

If you have some with long handles so you have better leverage, even
better. You should be able to go around the entire grill edge rather
quickly and remove it cleanly.

Just a thought.. hope it works for you.

Grant...