I need to correct that.  On the later 124 cars, what I said is correct, but
on the 1st generation, it _just_ may be possible to remove the chrome
surround from the side and from below.  However, it is not a straight shot
from below, so you'd be working more or less blind.

I've got an '87 and a '95, both have differences from Larry's car, a 1990.
I think he may have a shot after looking at my '87, but I called him a few
minutes ago and tried to describe what I was looking at.

Max
Charleston SC