On Mon, 27 Jul 2015 13:05:57 -0500
fmiser via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> > > Mitch wrote:
> > >
> > > It sounds to me like something is stuck, and it's ALWAYS
> > > releasing the parking brake.
>
> Kinda what I was thinking
>
> > archer75--- wrote:
> >
> > Nothing has been said about solvents such as Blaster or
> > WD-40. I squirt everything remotely connected to a system
> > with WD-40 first since  the smell goes away faster.
>
> Too bad it doesn't work very well.
>
> > If that doesn't work, I use stinking PB Blaster and repeat
> > the process.

Been doing that ever since ..."Eveready" (circa 1940s-50s) was the favorite
solvent which was far better than any of the stuff available nowadays.

> Have you tried Kroil/Arokroil?  Or automatic transmission
> fluid and acetone?

G: Tried both. I have a collection of nearly every similar solvent.

> I acquired a monster chain-type come-a-long and am currently
> soaking the chain in a (covered) bucket of ATF and acetone.
> We'll see...  It took most of a gallon of used ATF to cover
> the chain.  I put a bit less than 2 cups of acetone.  Maybe
> not enough - but I'm cheap!

G: That will be interesting.
If that doesn't work, you might try Rust-eater (or some similar name) at
Autozone. You can see the dissolved rust coming out of the joints.

Gerry