Re-heat won't make the side vents warmer as ALL the air goes through both evaporator and heater core. Side vents will be warmer when the car is hot because there is some heat exchange from the ductwork until the under-dash cools off.

If the center vent air is warm when full cooling is called for, or the car is warmer than the setting on heat, the valve is not closing. If you get no heat at idle and plenty when you accelerate from a stop, the valve is sticking closed when it should be open.

All of my broken ones have either stuck shut intermittantly or failed to turn off when I wanted no heat.

Not much to contribute -- I don't have working AC in either W124 at the moment!

Peter