I found this when looking for info on 12v Relays:
http://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/relay-guide.html

All of the info is helpful but the part I thought the owners of older cars might benefit from is down toward the bottom. It tells how to add a buzzer using a simple relay wired to the front door light switch so a warning can be added if you leaves the lights on. Also, a relay can be added to add fog lights to the main headlight circuit as well as a few other ideas.

Along with the above there's info on testing relays and the internal design of relays so the correct replacement can be found if need be.

Enjoy -
LarryT