Mitch,

Your email arrived last night?

Did exactly that test, couple of times.  No spots, the reservoir level didn't
change.

I've ordered a FTE master cylinder from Auto Haus AZ, $144 plus shipping,
should have that by Thursday evening.

Interestingly I can find rebuild kits for FTE MCs, haven't looked too hard but
one price was $75.  I may have to snag a good FTE MC core from the junkyard and
store that away with a rebuild kit.  So tempting to hoard parts...
--
Max Dillon
Charleston SC