On 07/08/2015 2:26 PM, Curt Raymond via Mercedes wrote:
Umm. I'd submit that either you don't have a very good jack (you're sure its a 20 ton and
not a 2 ton? 2 ton bottle jack is maybe 3" in diameter, 20 ton is more like 6")
or you've got a very heavy cottage.
Maybe 13 years ago the floor in my grandmother's house was sagging really bad
under the fridge. We cut a 6x8 hole in the floor and found a broken beam. We
sistered 2x8s on to both sides and jacked both broken pieces into place, then
ran bolts through the 2x8s and the other piece of beam, put another 2x8 under
it and fashioned a post under that. All the jacking for that job was done with
a 5 ton bottle jack since we couldn't find the 20. My grandmother's house is
quite large, 2 stories with high ceilings, built around 1850 if I remember
right. We weren't lifting the whole house on that job but the fridge backed up
against an interior wall which had settled a bit more than an inch so we were
lifting the interior of the house. You could also see some bow come out of the
ceiling. That one we lifted over two days. Had to cordon off the hole in the
floor lest somebody forget and stumble into it on the way to get a drink of
water in the night.
-Curt

Now, having said that the jacks I was using out at the lake were 20 ton, I will admit that I did not try lifting the cottage with a smaller one. I have a smaller hydraulic jack - maybe 8 ton that I used to carry around in my 68 Chevy pickup because the original jack did not work and it is out at the lake since we sold the truck. I also have a 12 ton in a smaller hydraulic press here in the city that I have offered to let my son take home but is still sitting in my garage.

How can you tell I am a pack-rat when it comes to tools???

RB