There is, but a lot of the folks were displaced by the white folks and developers. there are a coupla smaller islands down there where the Gullah folk still hold sway over part. There is a movie that came out in the mid 70s, called Conrack, that you might find interesting to watch. I got a DVD of it that appears to be a copy of a videotape, but it is OK. This was Pat Conroy's first job on Dafauskie Island as a teacher, and he wrote a book about it called The Water is Wide. Jon Voight played Conroy -- his first movie.

I first saw this movie at an all-night drive-in movie theater in Newport News, went there with another guy and 2 girls in his old station wagon in summer '75 I think, had a good time. That movie stuck with me all these years, I remember talking to my colleagues (summer intern at NASA Langley) about it, they told me about the sea islands and the Gullah folks, I had no idea such places and people really existed but always wanted to visit. Now I live here!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conrack

It is on youtube  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2cmoAl0haI

BTW it is BYOOfert around here, the one in NC is BOfort, if you go up there (not far, a neat little town and Parris Island is there, museum and such).

My neighbor Dr. Blake across the road is the current head of the Gullah-Geechee Corridor Commission, there is a good web site about a lot of stuff and there is a FB page too. http://www.gullahgeecheecorridor.org/ He worked with my wife, gave her a CD of music and local folk speaking and singing, some of whom are folks I know. He and I have agitated a bit together.

http://gullaheritage.com/ has more info

Queen Quet is head of the Gullah-Geechee Nation, she is something else http://gullahgeecheenation.com/

Checking all this out will be better than watching TV. The weather can be fairly nice and warm depending on when you go, but it can also be wet and windy and chilly --winter in this part of the world!

--R