Here we have two grocer chains, one (Bi-Lo) does the points similar what you
describe, another (Harris Teeter) sells gas station gift cards at 20% off, one
fifty dollar card for every fifty dollars in groceries.  Shell stations accept
both the discount points card from the first chain and the gift cards, so you
can double dip and get quite a nice discount.  We don't shop much at Bi-Lo, so
I'm lucky if I get five or ten cents off from that card, but every little bit
helps.
--
Max Dillon
Charleston SC