In theory only.  In reality, the data is rarely collected for true hot
stuff, like stolen AC condenser.  A couple years back a BBQ cooker was
stolen from out church.  These cost about $5K; they are basically a big
stainless steel "grill" with electric heaters which hold 2-3 whole pigs.
This item was later found at a local scrap yard in "trashed" condition but
somehow the paperwork didn't show who sold it to the scrapper.  Like gun
laws, this is a nuisance for honest people and no problem for folks with
criminal intent.