i think the business about SPECIAL MERCEDES COMPRESSER is an old wive's tale unless someone can show me some good documentation

I found this quote:

I called Delphi customer service today and talked with a 30+ year verteran. He pulled their documentation on the r4 unit and they "recommend" installing it with the X in the up position but on the same hand he said it does not matter. The oil is splashing around in there so much that the front bearing is going to get some lube on it no matter where the X is. He stated that in working there for 30 years that this was the first time anyone has ever asked this question and that they have a MB trained tech on staff and he reiterated the same thing - that it should not make any difference in the life of the compressor. I will be replacing a one year old new "locked up" compressor this coming weekend and hopefully will be able to take the old compressor apart to determine its failure mode.

And on the other hand this:

Any one you get that does NOT come from Mercedes will have the front bearing cover installed UPSIDE DOWN. Look at the cover on the front behind the clutch. It will have 4 bolts. Between 2 of the bolts will be an embossed X. This is the position of the oil hole to lube the front bearing. The R4 compressor was originally designed for GM cars with the compressor mounted on top of the engine. The X and the inlet/outlet port is UP. Mercedes used the compressor but rotated it 180 degrees and mounted it under the engine. This put the ports DOWN. Then they rotated the front cover so the X is UP. Oil does NOT flow uphill. If you use an aftermarket compressor with the X down, you will starve the front bearing of oil. It may last a week, amonth, 6 months.... depends on the quality of the bearing they put in. "I have received feedback on that information confirming that it is basically correct. That DOES NOT Mean that if you mount an R-4 upside down, it will fail prematurely - only that it is much more likely to fail prematurely if you mount it upside down. I have had many people dispute this and tell me that, "I mounted my compressor without an X on it and it's still working 10-15 years later. No argument, but there really is a reason why Mercedes marked their compressors and most of the guys I've spoken with that do this for a living (and don't want comebacks) insure that they use compressors configured to work on a Mercedes. Marshall--Marshall Booth Ph.D.Ass't Prof. (ret.)Univ of Pittsburgh School of Medicine

-- Jim