There you go. Problem solved. To much cheap oil, just shut down a refinery
for a few months...

EPA has not allowed a new refinery to be built in over 25 years anywhere in
the USA. Existing refinery capacity is limited by antiquated equipment
which has been patched together repeatedly while trying to meet ever more
stringent EPA regulations.

A new refinery, built from scratch would use more efficient component
parts, built to latest EPA standards, however, EPA will not permit new
construction, along with various environmental groups protesting.

Thus... we are "refinery limited", which drives up the cost per gallon.

Better living through government regulation, yet again.