This is actually a good deal for the electric co -- they can keep their baseload plants spinning at times of low demand and not have to build as much intermediate and peaking capacity. In aggregate it probably adds up. I think too, it goes back to the original rural electrification when every house needed a porch light they kept on all night. Probably for a similar reason.

I have one out on the pole where the above ground line ends and it goes underground to the house, it is maybe 150ft from the house, and lights up the woods, but it does an adequate job of putting out some light in the area out front. When the power goes out, it is REALLY dark out here. I thihk it is $5 a month.

--R