Picked up my 2005 Golf TDI from the TDI mechanic today. He put in a new
transmission and timing belt/water pump, changed the oil, oil filter, fuel
filter, air filter, and polished the headlights.
He said the clutch in it looked like it maybe had 10,000 miles on it plus it
has nearly new tires which leads me to theorize that after putting a new clutch
and tires into it the previous owner freaked when the transmission gave trouble
and considering it needs new front fenders and a windshield refused to put any
more money into it.
So its quite drive-able now but I don't think will pass inspection because of a
ding in the windshield. Safelite says its probably repairable, I'll make a run
up there and see what they can do. Then I'll see about front fenders and
getting it detailed. We washed it but it had some gunk on it which will
probably have to be buffed out.
I think the previous owner had babied it, when I first got it up to highway
speed it was kind of pokey and the first couple times I really got on it it
poured smoke. After a couple hard run ups its feeling a lot peppier so I think
I got the carbon out of it but a week or two of highway runs will prove that
out.
Oh and the speedo doesn't work. I'd bet the mechanic hasn't hooked it up. I
didn't have plates on it so I bet he didn't take it for a ride. I'll look
online and see if its something simple to hook back up, otherwise it'll be back
to him for a checkup...