John Berryman said

"I guess you wouldn't mind paying a lot more for every thing you buy
when trucks start costing more than a half million bucks. Note what
fuel surcharges alone can do to the price of shipping.
Maybe you should become a truck driver, it seems you might be more
attentive than some already on the job. That's where the problem really
exists, the human factor. Knowledge, skill, attitude, alertness and
emotions all factor in and vary widely between individuals."

John to answer your question no I would not mind paying more. We are the most spoiled society on earth when it comes to that. And Trucks do not need to cost a million bucks here are a few more thoughts that might work, heck maybe they are being tried allready.

A) pay truckers a decent salary (may I suggest 75,000 to 100K ? a year plus benefits factor in inflation) to be away from their families, not piece meal $ for mile that is only asking for trouble. This would include salary minimums for independents as well as company truckers B) limit, monitors and track speeds with engine electronic and confirm of trucks via satellite or some other method. C) brain and education, psycho test, similar to getting a merchant marine cost guard license, nuclear operators license or other licensed positions renewable every five years. These are to be real strict. Try to weed out the chaff. D) people and the industry can wait the extra three to five days (?) the lower speed limits would entail, no one is going to melt because of it. We survived when it took trains three weeks to deliver something. Matter of fact we actually manufactured things back then stuff the whole world including us purchased. E) weigh stations especially in the northeast (which are rarely open) would be required to be open allot more often (50%) of the time. Spot truck safety checks. F) satellite tracking of speed and movement to determine and limit speed and number of hours truck operators are on the road
G) mandatory drug testing for uppers and downers
H) major bonuses for operators with a clean record who do not drive aggressively, reward safety. Severely penalize truckers for accidents when they are at fault. Like loose your commercial license, never drive commercially again just like if you screw up on a merchant ship, they rip your coast guard license up. I) as an industry have a campain to educate the "four wheelers" to share in safety.

Make it a profession again instead of what one person told me "it was prison for me or trucking". Please do not compare trucks with cars by saying they should entail the same standards. 99% of the folks driving cars are not professionals. Tuckers are supposed to be professionals, not cowboys. There is too much at stake.

Regards Tom Scordato
Bellefonte PA

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Berryman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
industry which should have the same safety standards as lets say the
aerospace industry or maritime industry, is certainly lacking, big
time, yet
on a day by day basis affects as many if not more people.

I guess you wouldn't mind paying a lot more for every thing you buy
when trucks start costing more than a half million bucks. Note what
fuel surcharges alone can do to the price of shipping.
Maybe you should become a truck driver, it seems you might be more
attentive than some already on the job. That's where the problem really
exists, the human factor. Knowledge, skill, attitude, alertness and
emotions all factor in and vary widely between individuals.

Johnny B.
I Mac Therefore I am