      From: David Bruckmann via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
 To: "mercedes@okiebenz.com" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Cc: David Bruckmann <bruckma...@transcontinental.ca>
 Sent: Tuesday, August 18, 2015 11:08 AM
 Subject: Re: [MBZ] Diesel smart

All the first-series Canadian-market Smart cars were diesels. Then they ruined
it with the second series by offering only the gas model, coinciding with the
start of sales into the US market.

Unfortunately the B-Class, which has been offered in Canada for about a decade
now, was only sold in a gasser config. Presumably to protect Smart sales. The
Smart fuel economy numbers are unimpressive given what a small crappy car it
is. Even my 2002 Golf TDI got pretty close numbers, and there are now numerous
other vehicles on the European market, normal in size, that get better fuel
results.

The real problem with those first Smarts cars is the transmission, which is
undeniably horrendous.