Cool!

RB

(I will let WILTON do the usual and not spoil his fun)

On 19/08/2015 6:55 PM, Curt Raymond via Mercedes wrote:
I think I mentioned the other day that the speedo didn't work in my new 2005
Golf TDI. Today I managed to get the car registered so I took a minute to dig
into the issue. Theres a vehicle speed sensor (VSS) that lives on the
differential which can cause my problem which is no speedo and a randomly
bouncy fuel gauge so I went looking for it. I'd spent a little time before but
its tucked on the rear of the transmission which is right in front of the
driver's seat (transverse engine remember) and behind the air filter. Theres
not much space in there so I pulled the airbox (2 bolts and a nut although one
bolt is missing) to get a better look.
I finally found the wiring for the VSS but no VSS. I did find a thing that
looks a little like a transmission fluid dipstick. I *think* its actually the
bottom half of the VSS. The sensor is $25 so I just ordered one. IDParts (my
favorite VW supplier) is in MA so I usually get my orders from them double
quick. While I was at it I got a hinge repair kit for the armrest, a known weak
point some enthusiast has designed an updated part which is supposed to be way
stronger.
On a positive note the state says my car is worth $5500 vs the KBB value of
around $3500. That makes me feel good since I've already put double what I paid
for it into repairs and I haven't dealt with the front fenders or bumper cover
yet. Once I do the car will be pretty much perfect though. Ready for many
motoring miles...