      From: Andrew Strasfogel <astrasfo...@gmail.com>
 To: Curt Raymond <curtlud...@yahoo.com>; Mercedes Discussion List
<mercedes@okiebenz.com>
 Sent: Friday, August 21, 2015 4:40 PM
 Subject: Re: [MBZ] Some days - The saga of the Golf.

This is why I don't want to upgrade my 1985 Mercedes.

On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 4:35 PM, Curt Raymond via Mercedes
<mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

The new Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) for my Golf came today. As I'd guessed its
actually two parts and my old one had the top part broken off. Replacement is a
pain, its on the side of the transmission, under the firewall. Its got big
flats, I used a 7/8" wrench on it but theres very little space to swing the
wrench, grrr, its nice to have a working speedometer though.
Hopped in the car to get an inspection sticker and before I hit the end of the
street the check engine light (CEL) came on. Grrr! Gotta get the VCDS (I dunno
what it stands for but its the magic that connects my laptop to the car) and
check it out but its in the Jetta that Angie has taken to work.
About 1/3 of the way to Angie's office I realized I'd forgotten to plug the
Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor back in when I put the air box back after replacing
the VSS. Pulled over, plugged it back in and suddenly the power that was
missing in 2nd gear is back. Still need VCDS to shut off the CEL. Actually I
probably didn't, after picking up the VCDS I stopped for new windshield wipers,
my local Car Quest gave me $10 off which is great since the Bosch wipers were
normally $45. When I fired up the car again the CEL was gone.
So I headed down to get the inspection sticker only to find the reverse lights
don't work. A cursory search suggests its the switch which sadly lives UNDER
the battery. So pull the airbox again (I'm getting good at it) then pull the
battery. The bottom of the battery box is held with 4 bolts into captive nuts
except one of the nuts isn't captive anymore. I ended up breaking out the
bottom of the plastic box, theres still 3 bolts...
The switch is indeed dead but there are none at any FLAPS or VW dealer for 50
miles. I ordered a replacement from ID Parts (where the VSS came from) and
since I ordered before 4:30 it MIGHT be here tomorrow. The real advantage in
ordering from an in-state source. Now the rain won't quit long enough for me to
button things back up. I'm off to California (with an aching in my heard)
Sunday so if the new switch doesn't arrive tomorrow it won't get fixed for a
week...
-Curt