I finally got the laptop completely updated and I didn't even have to
reformat the disk and reinstall Win7!

I downloaded Microsoft Fixit from
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058 and ran it for a few hours.
It then stopped saying I should restart Windows Update.

I did so and Windows Update said it had 164 updates to install. It went
ahead and installed them without problem. After installation, the laptop
needed to be rebooted, so I told it to reboot. It took a long while to
shutdown because it needed to do things to the disk and it took a long
while to reboot for the same reason.

I re-ran Windows Update after it rebooted and found it had more things to
update. I had it do that and, of course, rebooted.

I again re-ran Windows Update after it rebooted and found it had more
things to update. I had it do that and, of course, rebooted yet again.

I again re-ran Windows Update after it rebooted again and found it had
more things to update. I had it do that and, of course, rebooted yet
another time.

And maybe a time more; I lost track.

I then did some disk cleanups. Oddly, I had LESS freespace on the disk
after some of those than I had before. The updates take about 5 Gigabytes
of disk space; a quarter of the 20 GB I had allocated to the C: drive.

Now I can install Garmin Express, the thing I started out to do!

Craig