There was a show on PBS last night about the Battle of the Bulge, was pretty good. Showed some old movies of gliders landing and crashing in France, trying to drop in more men and supplies. Those things were pretty much matchsticks with some fabric around them. Saw one that landed OK then hit something, a hedgerow or ditch and pitched over, smashing in the cockpit it looked like. No protection for the guys in the front seats fer sure.

Another showed the Germans dropping large fuel tanks (looked like torpedoes or aircraft drop tanks) with parachutes on them to resupply the tanks that were out of fuel. A lot of them landed in the American areas, some hung on trees, did not work very well.

They showed quite a few memorials in the area, some very large, to the (mostly) American soldiers who fought and died, or were captured and murdered by the SS. That aspect was very humbling as were the interviews with survivors of the campaign. They were some tough old guys, though I guess they didn't have much choice in the matter but to press on.

--R