This is the second time I’ve heard this dreck from them.

I find this to be questionably bogus in that I see no reason why they can’t go
surface, like any other hazmat item can, in the USPS.  I can’t imagine that CA
laws override Federal ones for something like this.

I shipped a seat belt with a squib in it the other day via USPS parcel post.
When the counter guy asked me why I didn’t want to use Priority Mail, I told
him the package had explosives in it (describing exactly what it was) and he
agreed that it had to go surface.

Dan