There were posts, and I think a McMaster part number for that some years ago. Not having a mcmaster any where near, and not wanting to pay $10 shipping for a 50¢ part, I take the copper washer for the OM603 (124) oil filter center bolt, as they are not used in the SDL, then put that copper washer over a needlenose pliers, and pull the pliers apart, stretching the washer oval. Turn 90º and repeat. repeat until the washer is big enough to fit over the alda guts, but still small enough to fit inside the threads.

A ring sizer or other tapered round is good for changing it back in to a circle from the oval. I don't have a ring sizer, so I just do the best I can with the needlenose pliers. It is not an exact science.

This results in a copper washer about 1/16" thick and maybe 2 mm wide in cross section.

There ore other ways to do it, but since I always have oil filters, one of these washers is always handy. I throw the copper washers/rings etc I don't use into a can near the oil filter stash

I tried on in the 300D one tme, but it was overkill, so I took it out and jest left it the way it was. That car had only about 200K miles at the time, so not too badly worn. The winter heap SDL has about 500k miles.

If you had a steel ring sizer and a brass hammer, you can stretch the washer with those tools by tap and turn the same as a jeweler enlarges a ring.

Curly, is there a standard thickness for the proper shim, or do you use the Booth method?
--
Max Dillon
Charleston SC