If ya can't stand the answer, don't ask the question.

Wilton

----- Original Message ----- From: "Andrew Strasfogel via Mercedes" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Cc: "Andrew Strasfogel" <astrasfo...@gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, September 03, 2015 3:47 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT: Practical solar application

Extension cord from the house to the shed would be vetoed immediately by
SWMBO.

On Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 3:46 PM, Andrew Strasfogel <astrasfo...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Thanks - that helps.  I wonder why there is no simple kit that goes from
PV to 110 V without all the interconnecting parapernalia, battery,
inverters, etc.

On Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 3:46 PM, fmiser via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com
> wrote:

> Andrew wrote:
>
> I am still puzzled at how to plug in my heat mats into a
> solar setup.

A solar panel will generate direct current (DC).  A power
cell - and therefore a battery - can only store DC.  If you
need alternating current (AC), then a converter is needed.
It is called an "inverter".   Small ones (low power) are
pretty cheap.  Big ones are not.  Ideal is to get an inverter
with a power rating close to your power needs.  If you have
80 Watts of seedling heaters, get a 100-120 W inverter, not a
750 W.

The process of creating AC from DC is not perfect.  Thus to
get 80 W of AC will typically require 90-110 W of DC.

The capacity of the photo-voltaic panel, capacity of the
battery, and the power rating of the inverter all depend on
the size of the load.