On Thu, 3 Sep 2015 15:46:18 -0400 Andrew Strasfogel via Mercedes
<mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> Thanks - that helps.  I wonder why there is no simple kit that goes
> from PV to 110 V without all the interconnecting parapernalia, battery,
> inverters, etc.

Because it cannot be done without all the interconnecting paraphernalia
(correct spelling).

PV cells put out low voltage direct (not changing polarity) current. You
can string them in series to get a higher voltage direct current output,
but it is still direct current.

Household power is a moderate voltage alternating (changing polarity)
current. You have to have an electronic device (an inverter) to change
the direct current output of PV cells to alternating current.

If you want the power available when the sun is not shining, you need to
store the energy somehow. The easiest is in a chemical reaction in a
rechargeble battery.

Craig