Cycle life of battery has likely been exceeded along with age.

The battery can be replaced, I did it on an old MIO GPS I picked up at a
garage sale for $2.  The screws that held the unit together were hidden
under small rubber plugs that filled the screw holes to make it appear "not
serviceable".

I used a bulletin board push pin to pick the plugs out, removed the screws,
removed the battery and took it to "Batteries +" to find a replacement. $8
later, had a fully functioning, if slightly out of date MIO GPS. that works
just fine for navigation around the Ranch and since streets really don't
move that often.. it even works in town.

For myself.. it was worth the $10 and a little effort to save it. Even came
with the charge cord and mount..original box and manual.. etc.