<<I had to fabricate a new front pan for our SDL, the original was
long-gone.  I made it out of roof flashing, fiberglass, and
fiberglass batting (insulation).  It's a thoroughgoing mess now, due to the
603's penchant for oil leaks, but it did
quiet the outside of the car down.>>

The pans noticeably quiet the car down inside by eliminating engine noise
reflecting off the pavement. I would guess that a pre-CDI MB diesel could not
pass Switzerland's   pass-by noise test (just one country with this
requirement,
there are others) without a pan.

The 1989 Porsche 911 model 964 has an enclosed engine because of the Swiss
law.

RLE