I like the idea of having a back-up fossil fuel engine in
a hybrid, I just wish they'd use a sensible Diesel engine

The strength of a diesel is at partial throttle, which is
not necessary in a series hybrid.  I think the _best_ series
hybrid would be a small turbine engine.  Turbines, gas,
and diesels are all approximately equally efficient at
full throttle.  Turbines suck at throttle response.  That
is not necessary in a battery charger in a series hybrid.
So, fixed-speed running in its sweet spot, that's a turbine.

A turbine would be really small, and doesn't need a liquid
cooling system.  (Just a little oil cooler.)  At fixed RPM
you could really quiet it as well.  Co-gen for cabin heat
would also be nice.

-- Jim