I used to be assigned to USS LEWIS B. PULLER (FFG 23) which used two gas
turbine engines for main propulsion.  LM-2500 engines I think, same basic
design as used in a DC-9 from foggy memory.  20,000 shaft horse power from
each engine. Under normal operations, the Engineering Section began for
getting underway 24 hours prior to casting off from the pier, but the gas
turbine engines would not be lit off until an hour or so prior.  In an
emergency, that whole cycle could be compressed to about 30-45 minutes, and
one of our Chief Engineer's bragged that he could take the engines from
stone cold to ready for helm orders in 10 minutes if needed.

This compares to a steam plant which may take a full 24 hours just to be
ready for helm orders, with limited ability to shorten that if the plant
was stone cold.

Max
Charleston SC