As a young boy growing up in Indianapolis, I vividly recall the revolutionary
application of a gas turbine in a major motorsports event:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STP-Paxton_Turbocar

Under full race setup the reciprocating engined cars would easily exceed 120 db
sound levels.  Andy’s car could barely be heard.

Another little known fact - Studebaker, through their ownership of STP, was a
sponsor.  It never ocurred to me until now, but I found it humorous that
drivers complained that it suffered from throttle lag.  Go figure…

Dan