My wife's grandfather used to tell a story about driving down to Florida in the winter. He had the car filled up at a service station along the way and the gas jockey checked the oil for him and then came to the window and asked him to come look under the hood. There was oil on the shock and the fellow told him that it was unsafe to drive the car with bad shocks and they could fix it for him quite quickly. Grandpa was smarter than that. He figured the fellow had some sort of small bottle that he used to squirt some oil onto the shock and that it was a scam, so he said to the fellow - "sonny, I have been driving cars since before they had shock absorbers, so I am not concerned about it" and went on his way with his oily shock.

RB

I took the Escort Dissel into snears in Honolulu for something. When it was done, the long faced "advisor" too me in to show me the "dangerous" condition of the car. One of them had taken a oil squirt can and squirted oil on top of the shocks. Then there was an entertaining song and dance about how it was unsafe and how they had to be changed right now, etc. Each time I said no the story became more dire...

It was quite humorous but as the story became more dire and entertaining, I was also getting more annoyed.

another nail in the coffin that holds snears, crowbar and company. It was also the last time I ever took a car to snears.